Monday, January 4, 2010

Musing about change...

As noted in an earlier post, I have signed up for the One Small Change challenge - the idea that one small change can make a difference. I have believed this my whole life, and I have made an effort as I have gotten older, and especially now that I am a mother, to spread the word through example. I am not a preacher: I am not eloquent, I don't have a lot of meaningful things to say, and I really don't have the energy to broadcast my beliefs. What I am is a person out to live a low impact life the best way she can, while having fun, making beautiful things, and experiencing wonder.

I thought about listing all of the 'green' things that I do, but after mulling it over all day, I decided not to list it all out. How annoying, right? Most people I meet take something away with them after they meet me: colleagues now bring bowls, mugs and utensils to work instead of using the disposables supplied by work. Arianita mia now uses cloth towels and napkins instead of the disposable ones after spending two weeks with me. My mom uses a reusable water bottle. This is a small change for each one of my friends, and these small changes add up.

So, after thing and reading other ideas from the wonderful family blogs I frequent, I have finally come up with January's change: I am going to make Uli's next set of diapers. It will probably take me all month, but I have time. Uli has been in cloth diapers since he was born, but it NEVER occurred to me to make my own. I am now on the third set of 3 dozen diapers that he has now outgrown, and now needs the 'toddler' size. So, instead of creating the demand and using new cotton diapers, I am going to follow Amanda Soule's pattern and guidance in 'Handmade Home' and make the next set. Thrift stores beware. Honestly, I am really hoping to find a lot of tie-dyed shirts. I think those would be AWESOME.

So, head to the thrift store, order some new needles for the sewing machine, and off I go.

I do think I will add a few plants to the house too. As a matter of fact, at least one a month until April.

No comments:

Post a Comment