Thursday, January 14, 2010

Excuses, excuses

We got rid of our cable and we don't have an antenna - the television is only for movies. I don't surf the internet for anything more than blogs or shopping. I only listen to the radio for the 10 minutes I am in the car on the way to daycare/work. Despite this, I am astonished that I only just learned of the earthquake in Haiti an hour ago. Under a rock. That's where I've been. Why aren't more people talking about this?

I am detached from reality. I suppose this is why I sent a congratulatory email to a colleague on the birth of her daughter that I feel was not terribly nice. I have a knack at inserting my foot in my mouth, but not realizing it until well after the fact. How does one cure that? Am I just going to be an insensitive loony all my life? I hope not. Birth is beautiful, no matter how it is experienced. My way is not the only way.

My day did start quite well, and really ended well, too. My son is now in a 'big boy bed' and is loving it. He actually wants to go to sleep right now! I wonder how long that will last? I am wanting to make a quilt for him, but I am officially postponing it until he and I can discuss it. Right now, he only wants two particular blankets, nothing else: my favorite receiving blanket from the day he was born (melts my heart), and the blanket my mother made for ME when I was a child. I love it, and won't complain.





Finally, a glimpse of what a dozen hand-made diapers look like after being cut, but prior to assembly. I so can't wait to get these sewn up and revealed. I had an awesome bit of flannel in my stash that I bought for Brian's winter pajamas a few years ago, and it will suit my little rocker and his boogie-butt perfectly.

Keep your eyes peeled on your favorite blogs and on the news. Even if we can't physically go to Haiti or even into our own communities to lend a hand, there are other ways to help. Google 'craftivism' and see what you can do to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment