Thursday, February 11, 2010

Broken Hearts

I had a cookie once that was so yummy, the memory of it has stayed with me for years. I am a sucker for shortbread. Any kind of shortbread. When I met this particular shortbread, it was love at first bite.

It's been years since that cookie, and since I am not too much of a baker, I have never tried to make it. Last night, while wondering what on earth I should make for our Bake Off today at work, I was inspired: Lavender Shortbread Cookies. Off I went on a quest to find the right recipe. I am pretty sure that the original recipe was from our friend Martha, but I can' t be bothered by her website. So, I searched the internet, and found this recipe from 'I love milk and cookies.' She loved the recipe, so I gave it a whirl.

I was cursed from the beginning. The recipe is in metric measurements, so I had to do a few conversions. I am no good at math. Also, I botched the whole thing, as I don't have butter, only Earth's Best so that Uli can eat all the things mama makes. Recipe for disaster.

In the end, the cookies came out okay, although they are not what I wanted them to be. I needed to use more 'butter' than the recipe called for, and dear husband thought they tasted like soap (probably because most of the soap in our house is scented with lavender.) Sigh...

So, for our Valentine's Day Bake-Off, I made Lemon Lavender Shortbread Broken Hearts. I am hoping I get a point for creativity. I won't get points for Tasty...



And just for fun, the man of my dreams got new PJ's yesterday, and has been sporting them since they arrived. He looks like he's wearing an old fashioned Union Suit. Love it. Just wish it had the drop panel in the back, as the zipper doesn't go down enough for quick diaper changes.

Uli likes to open the zipper in the front and pull a Super Man move. Here's his other super-hero impersonation:


Baby Hulk!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment